Saturday, May 15, 2010

Recipe Time

A friend of mine gave me this crock-pot Creamy Italian Chicken recipe a few years ago. The first time I made it for the family, I knew it was a keeper. My oldest thought it would be better with some broccoli mixed in, so we adapted the recipe a bit for us.

Behold! Holly's Oldest Child's Adaptation of Cream Italian Chicken!

  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieces
  • 1 envelope Italian salad dressing mix
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 1 package (8oz) cream cheese, softened
  • 1 can cream of chicken soup
  • 1 can mushrooms (optional...I leave these out)
  • 2 heads fresh broccoli, torn in to tinier "head" pieces (does that make sense?)
  • hot cooked noodles

Place the chicken breast pieces into the crock-pot. Combine salad dressing mix with water and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours. In a small bowl, use a fork or whisk to mix together the softened cream cheese and soup. Stir in mushrooms, if desired. Cook another 2-3 hours on low. Add in cut broccoli pieces and cook for an additional hour...just until broccoli is tender enough to not fall apart. If you put the broccoli in with the cream cheese mixture? You'll just have a delicious mess on your hands. :) Serve over hot cooked noodles.

TIP: Usually, I have to add a bit more water to get it to a consistency that I like. Most of the time, I add 1/3 to 1/2 cup water when I put the broccoli in because I think it helps steam the broccoli better.

I usually serve with some buttered french bread and a small side salad. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment