Monday, May 10, 2010

Confessions

I am just beginning this transformation of my home. I adore DIY blogs and strive to do more DIY in my home. So because of this, it is confession time.

My home? Not so pretty right now. In terms of decoration, there is very little. Not much to speak of in regards to things on the walls. I have lots of great intentions, but, honestly, very little follow-through (or $$ to follow through with!).

Confession #1: We have lived here for 4 years and there is still builder's "white" (it's really light tan, but nobody calls it builder's light tan!) on several of the walls in the public areas of the house.

What are public areas, you ask? In my house, we have areas where company is allowed to roam freely...and we have areas that are 100% off-limits. Because I would DIE if someone saw them. Like the master bedroom and bathroom. OFF-LIMITS. Seriously. That is the room that is last on the cleaning list every week. And if I said they were cleaned every week? I would be lying. So there. Now you have Confession #2.

Now for the good stuff. Pictures! Of my imperfect house! I will preface these by saying yes, I did pick up the toys from the living room floor. Yes, I did fold (and put away!) the mountain of clean laundry that perpetually lives on my loveseat and/or chair. Yes, my "sewing room" is also known as my dining room. Yes, I do hate that. Yes, I would love to kick my husband's junk out of the office and make that my sewing room. Yes, he is being rather stubborn about that. :)

My living room, from the entry hall.

My living room, again, from the vantage point of my sewing/dining room. I have a love/hate thing going on with the fireplace. I adored the rock when we first moved in, but now I don't know quite what to do with all of it.

This is my dining room. I think this part of the public areas will get the first semi-major makeover. The table and chairs are a hand-me-down from my dad. I don't really care for the color of them, but there are a TON of spindles on the chairs and the table has quite a bit of scroll-y stuffs. It would be a super pain to strip and stain. I am not a huge fan of painted tables, though. So either it will go in craigslist and the proceeds put toward a new set. Or I'll live with it for awhile longer. I'm guessing it will be the latter of the two. :)

Big-ish things are coming to the living room and dining room in the next 2-3 weeks. This will not be a DIY project. Instead of having WWIII in my house, we will pay out the hoo-ha for labor. I will definitely update as soon as it's complete.

Last, but not least, this is my entry hall. I think this could look fab with just a little color and a total re-do of that enormous art niche. This room may be the easiest of them all to work on, but I'm at a bit of a loss, so it will wait.

So there you go. Confessions of unclean bathrooms, unpainted walls and a total lack of creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment